Get involved and make this more usable

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM

What would be required to get involved and take this project to a more usable level?

Ideally a VS add-in that can installed. Is there anything right now prohibiting dropping the code into an add-in?

May 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM

This looks like a really promising project.  Is there any way I can help?  I'd like to at least see this as an installable add-in.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I have Converted the Project into VB.Net to try and simplify it so I could get it to work (long story....but basicly I'm making it into A VS 2010 Extension)

Its nearly done!

All I have to do is fix 1 last problem (Or 10 if I'm unlucky) and if I can fix it ands get it working I will put it on the Extensions website!

Is there anyone out there that actually understands this project O.o?!

I have massively reduced the complexity of this by changing all the Events that where being pushed around into Public Shared  but I'm still not really sure how most of it actually Works!

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Cool, keep us updated and if you want help or testing.

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:22 AM

have really worked hard on this (If I stop then all the work before would be worthless O.o)

Here is where I am.

1. It will work almost the same as the original (+/- A Few errors and...other stuff.....)
  2. It will not grab the values of the local properties and variables, they are recreated with no value 
Public Class MethodInjector
    ' Methods
    Public Sub New()
    Public Function InjectionMethod() As Object

' Fields
    Public args As String()
    Public m___this As Object
    Public someNumbers As List(Of Integer)
End Class
Nothing is Initialized or anything

3. The Code is in VB.Net
4. The Code for the Controls has not been changed, but I might junk the TreeView control and replace it with an ObjectTreeView.....Maybe
4. The Code has been reworked. Many classes have been removed and many parts have become Shared
5. The Local Variables show up on the TextBox's AutoCode
6. Adding XML documentation

I think I can get the values of the Locals....I just have to find A way to get the convert the COM crap into the Actual Value
If I can do that then I should be able to add that into the Dynamically compiled code.

My Extension currently Works to compile Code

List<int> AA = new List<int>() {1,2,3};
AA[1] = 10;
return AA;
That Code does work just fine

TODO List
1. How do I upload my work here
2. Get value of Locals
3. Clean Clean Clean
4. Have everyone on here tell me 100 things I did wrong!
Oct 31, 2011 at 3:32 AM

I does anyone know if the Original actually work like it says it will?

From what I can tell it Never worked correctly

The Picture on the front page seems to show the Properties of A COMObject not the Actual List

I got that feature to work so long as the list has at least 1 item (finish tomorrow)

My version actually works and I could Post it on the Extensions Website if I wanted to!!!!

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I think i had it working in 2008 but never in 2010. 

btw have you seen the Roslyn project? I imagine it would be a better way to compile and run the code dynamically.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

The Project Works!!!!!

it will now work for Both VB.Net and C#

It will get the Value of the Local Assuming it has A Public + Parameter Free Constructor

or is A Single Value (Like Integers because I can do NewLocal = OldLocal)

There really is not much compiling to do so I do not the Roslyn Project...Just one to Convert COMObject back into there Actual Type...I still cannot do that 100% of the Time

How do I upload the Changes?

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Try uploading a patch, but If the original owner wont respond or give you control of the project its maybe best you create a new project here or somewhere else. I appreciate the hard work and looking forward to seeing it

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:08 PM

How do I upload A Patch?

Also, Here is my Email: Aaroncampf@gmail.com

I have created another extension along with this one, but far simpler, if your interested I can show/Email you that as well!

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Ive never done this but if you go to the source code section, there is options  Check-ins | Patches | Upload Patch and also on the left side the box says Code Contributions, Want to contribute a bug fix, feature, or other code? Submit a patch but I'm thinking when you do this that it still needs to be received and approved by the project owner, but I cant say for sure as ive never done this.

http://extendedimmediatewin.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets

Just having a look around other codeplex projects and the what people are doing now is using mercurial to fork projects, then they have there own fork project and they can either make their fork public to the world or ask to be merged back into the main project. Only problem here is this project is still using svn, so it hasnt been upgraded to mercurial so the fork link doesnt appear on the source page. I think since the original owner is long gone or not using the same email anymore and you have made considerable changes, start your own project, call it Ultimate/Ultra/Better/ Multi-statement Immediate window 2 or Debugger REPL or something like that, and credit the original project owner for his work. That way we you can get it on mercurial and open it up to others to get involved. I'd be willing to help where I can. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I have created A New Project at http://extendedimmediate2.codeplex.com/

It still has a few bugs that I will work on.